Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

The Road We Travel

Earlier this week I read this post about the ending of two blogs that greatly influenced the bloggers life.  One of them is the BookEnds Literary Agency blog.  That blog has informed, influenced, and helped me along my writing journey and I'm sad to see it end.  What struck me most about this post, though, was the title: The End of A Beginning.

And I realized that's how I feel. I'm working on what I hope are the final edits before sending off queries.  My query pitch, I think, is ready to go, I'm researching agents, I'm doing all the things I've learned over the last few years.  And that's the point.  I've been working towards this for several years. All my life really. I don't consider myself a completely wet-behind-the-ears noob anymore.  Which isn't to say I don't have a lot to learn because I do. But I've reached the end of the beginning of my journey. 

I'm now comfortably somewhere in the middle. somewhere along this road I hope to get an agent, and get published.  It's nice that there's no end to this journey. As long as I write the road will stretch out before me surrounded by the landscapes of my imagination. 

The end of something can be sad, but really it's only the beginning of something else.  I know what I'm beginning now will have it's own hardships but it will also have it's own rewards, and I'm ready for them both.

Where are you on the journey?

20 comments:

  1. Good for you, Sara1 I'm still at the beginning and even though I've written and self-pubbed two small books, in fiction I'm just beginning. And I know it. I sometimes think about queries, agent hunting, etc., but I'm not ready for that. I need a rough draft to revise first. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experience with the other books will help you though. And you know more than you give yourself credit for!

      Delete
  2. New follower here, Sara :) I'm in the middle right now, always having something on the docket, never really stagnant. I think it's great you're putting yourself out there, telling other writers how you're feeling. It's inspiring and humbling to us all. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower too, but I'm still in diapers, lol. I was a closet writer for years, still have not finished my first book, and have been actively blogging since only February! I'm learning every day. But it's good to see people grow and evolve. Finishing up your last edits must be a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise. Welcome to the writing journey! I was a closet writer for a while too. It feels great to be out in the open. Final edits are exciting because I actually have hopes for this MS. We'll see how it goes. The edits might take a while.

      Delete
  4. Hey I recognize that post! ;) Thanks for linking to it. I feel I am at the same point in my journey. I've been working for decades on my writing, several years learning all I can about the industry and now I'm taking the plunge to query and get published. The idea of a neverending journey feels right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the querying! I hope I see you out there! Yea, as long as we keep writing we'll never reach the end of the road.

      Delete
  5. Much success to you, Sara! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. The edits might take a bit but I'm getting excited.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on reaching this point. It's hugr, but only the first time of many that you will reach it with a project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting it is to start something new...Good luck with finding an agent.

    Although I've finished one WIP, I still consider myself a newbie in the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia, this is my fourth novel (not counting the ones I started in grade school) but the first one I plan to query.

      Delete
  8. have an interesting space, a great pleasure to read you.
    if you like the poetry I invite you to my space.
    happy day.
    a greeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ricardo. I'd love to visit your blog.

      Delete
  9. Wishing you the best of things to come, and success! Maybe most of all, perseverance. I'm going to be redoing some of my manuscript, so you're further along than me. I'll be cheering you on though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on the redo. Thanks for the cheers. I think perseverance may be one of the most important things in writing.

      Delete
  10. Oh the journey...

    I'm back in the querying game while trying to focus on my new WIP. Last time querying, I focused only on that and it depressed me. So now, I'm trying to look ahead and not let the rejections get me down. It's hard. REALLY HARD. But I'm doing better this time around by continuing to move forward. ;)

    Gosh, I wish you the BEST of luck, SP... it's an adventure! And I'm sure you'll do beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that's the good thing about not drafting in so long. It should be so much fun I'll forget about checking email every five minutes.

      Delete