Pages

Friday, September 2, 2016

Labor Day



On Monday those of us in the US will celebrate Labor Day. That is a day set apart to celebrate, you guessed it, those who labor. 

Originally Labor Day was set up by the Central Labor Union to celebrate the achievements of American workers and their contributions to the strength and prosperity of our country. It was first celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882. In 1884 the first Monday of September was set apart for the annual holiday.

In recent years it has changed a little to more specifically remember the sacrifices of those in the armed services, those who protect our country and make our lives possible. While it is wonderful to celebrate those great men and women, it’s fine to celebrate the other workers in our country also. 

Some people celebrate by taking the day off and having a party. Others celebrate by doing a project on their house or yard. However you choose to celebrate, I hope you have a good day and remember how it takes all of us working together to make our country what it is.


18 comments:

  1. You have a super Labor Day, too. (Doing as little labor as possible.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great Labor Day and holiday weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I need to go look up the root of our weekend. Probably the same. Enjoy your weekend! (Love the pic!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm not happy with it but you know. I'll avoid cameras for another couple years so it might take awhile to fix.

      Delete
  4. Never forget the sacrifices! That's my take on holiday. I come from a family that valued and expected hard work. I know the value. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your long weekend. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great Labor Day and holiday weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Sara,

    Hope you had a great weekend. I spent mine FINALLY finishing my loft. Monday afternoon I put the last coat of enamel on the woodwork...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We celebrate Labour Day here in Canada, too. It means the kids go back to school the next day. When I had 5 boys at home, I used to meet my girlfriends for cheesecake to celebrate!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect celebration! Our kids went back to school almost a month ago, though.

      Delete
  9. Hey! You have a new picture on the sidebar there. Love it! We worked on book release stuff for Labor Day. Yes, my husband helped me all day. Isn't he the best?

    ReplyDelete