Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Fairest of them all



I’ve struggled with writing this year. Actually, I’ve struggled with everything. It’s been a very busy, stressful time full of lots of changes.

 You know the quote about how writing is opening up a vein and bleeding onto the paper?  Well, I had nothing to bleed. I was tapped out, empty.  I didn’t really want to write, or even read. 

A while ago I had the opportunity to volunteer at my children’s school book fair. Could there be a better place to volunteer? Books, lots and lots of books. Kids who want to choose books to read. It would be a little slice of heaven.



Of course it didn’t turn out quite like planned. I had volunteered for a day The Engineer had off work so he could watch our youngest. Well, things happened.  The Engineer had to go work. So I got to take along a 3 year old who turns very, very destructive when he’s bored. 

Still, amid the chaos, I had one moment where I was able to look around the room, see the tables and shelves filled with books and imagine that one day my book would be sold at book fairs. And in that moment I was happy, and relieved, to know I still want this. That I will not give up. Yes, it’s been a rough year. But now I’m ready to write.

9 comments:

  1. Let the blood letting begin! Wishing you many words in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate having that feeling of not wanting to write. It's the worst, most depressing feeling. I hope the rejuvenated spirit stays with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate having that feeling of not wanting to write. It's the worst, most depressing feeling. I hope the rejuvenated spirit stays with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. I actually think that this year has probably helped you build up your energy and angst to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you could find some inspiration there! Hope 2016 is a great one for writing and life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspiration can be found in the most unlikely places! Glad you got the re-affirmation you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been inspired by the kids' book fair when volunteering there, too! I missed out on volunteering this year, so lost that kick in the pants that inspires me as I watch the kids pour in to go through the books, so excited to find the perfect ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bleeding all over the page really isn't what it's cracked up to me. Better to be surrounded by screaming kids so when you return to relative normal abode, the silence feels golden. Miss your posts, Sara. Glad you're getting your mojo back. Me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it's definitely been a rocky year. Here's to a new year full of more writing and editing (which is the bit I need). Can't wait till your books are on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete