Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Death of Books


I killed a book. 

Not one of those 'my book is so bad I’m going to lock it in a drawer' mercy killings. I killed a book I was excited about and wanted to write. 

Four or five months ago I tried plotting a book. Not even plotting, more just brainstorming and thinking of plot points. Ever since I’ve wanted nothing to do with it. I can’t even force myself work on it. I’m hoping that if I toss everything I brainstormed out and go back to the original characters and flashes of scenes maybe, just maybe I can want this book again. 

Or maybe, I’ve killed it forever.  

 No doubt about it, I’m a pantster through and through.

Anyone ever raised a book from the dead?
 

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes time is needed to fall in love with a book again.
    I've tried to resurrect a fallen book in the past. It's hard work--harder than starting from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both are their own brand of hard.

      Delete
    2. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the work or if I should cut and run, find something different I'm passionate about and see if the magic comes back.

      Delete
  2. Nope, but I've used elements of the dead book in a new storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is best to just let the dead lie. Unless, of course, you can give it a Goth twist? :0) I say, let it sit a while longer, and either its ghost will begin a quiet conversation with you or you can pick its bones for anything worth saving. Or, kick some dirt on it, say a prayer and say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. If I push it I'll just lose it. I should let it come to me.

      Delete
  4. Yep. I just did that to my first idea for my WIP's theme. When I cut the existing MS into two parts, the old themes and working title just jumped back into play. I'm happy, the story is happy...now if I could *finish* a WIP... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! You're the same as me! I plotted a story once and to this day I've never been able to write it. Maybe once I've forgotten the plot entirely...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent years and years working on my first novel. When I finally made the decision to say good-bye to it, I got all warm and fuzzy inside. The idea of bringing it back makes me feel less warm and fuzzy. So for the time being, I'm going to keep that particular story in the past.

    ReplyDelete