Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chosen

I've heard people say, "I didn't choose writing (acting, art, etc), writing chose me".  I understand what they mean by it, but I'm not sure I agree with the statement.  Writing is a choice.  Sure, I may have a drive, a passion for it.  I still choose to do it.  Writing is work.  Hard work.  There is research, learning craft, revisions, rewrites, edits, the constant search for the perfect word, the best description, and let's not forget just getting our seat in the chair.

It's not easy to find the time or resources.  Life doesn't open up a three hour block and say "here, write, you were chosen".   We eek out the minutes and hours foregoing eating and cleaning and sometimes friends and sleep.  Having that drive to write doesn't guarantee that we will improve, find an agent, or be published.  Only our choice to keep working can do that.

Each day I choose to sit down in this chair and be a writer.  And I'm all the better for it. 

What do you think?  Is being chosen enough, or do we need to choose our own path?

No comments:

Post a Comment