Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

I've never been big on Valentines Day. Working in a floral shop will do that to you.  You can read my post about it here.  But I do enjoy kissing.  And kissing scenes in books.  I rarely post snippets. I think I've only done it once before. But just because, here is an almost kissing scene from my current WIP.




She made the mistake of looking up. Paul was closer than she had thought, his eyes focused on her face, and she trailed off forgetting about the proper care of potatoes. For just a moment her heart fluttered to life and her stomach droped.
Taking a handkerchief from his pocket, he wiped the sweat from her face. He was so gentle and Anna quivered all over at the look in his eyes. His hand smoothed her hair as he leaned into her, brushing her cheek with his nose.
Eyes closed, lips parted slightly, she couldn’t move. Her breath was ragged and she was embarased he could hear it. Desperately she tried to focus, to force herself to do something, anything.
“What are you thinking Anna?” He whispered mouth against her jaw. She couldn’t answer, only gave an almost imperceptible shake of her head. His lips traced a burning line up her jaw and nibbled under her ear. It was good his hands were on her arms, holding her up as her knees shimmied, melted and threatened to come unhinged.
“Da?” a voice came from outside and steps on the porch gave them a single moment of warning. Paul stepped back and Anna sagged against the table.

21 comments:

  1. Good job! Kissing scenes are so hard! You impressed me with yours. I'm going to take a stab at one tomorrow (maybe!) lol. Don't you love my cop-out? *sigh* They are hard for me to do. Love this one tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans Leigh. Do it! Go write that scene. Anything you don't like can always be fixed later. That's what rewrites are for.

      Delete
  2. Romance IS hard to write. But your MC seems to enjoy it 8)

    Welcome to the campaign! I'm in your adult fiction group. I write fantasy.
    http://www.christinetyler.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. This WIP is fantasy too!

      Delete
  3. holding her up as her knees shimmied, melted and threatened to come unhinged

    wowza...

    NICE :D

    Also - Mike and I NEVER celebrate Valentine's day. Ever. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm finding more and more that people in successful, stable relationships just don't need Valentines Day.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh that was a great little scene! I wish you'd posted more :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I Hope the agents want more of it too....

      Delete
  5. I love this! More than kissing scenes I like almost kissing scenes! All that tension!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad you felt tension. I was afraid that out of context it might not make sense.

      Delete
  6. Kissing scenes are very hard for me. I try to find a song or something that gets me in the mood. ;)

    Yours was very nice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've never used music while I write. I know lots of people who do but I find it distracting. It's cool how many ways there are of writing.

      Delete
  7. A lovely snippet! I find kissing scenes quite hard because I don't want to be too OTT but you've done it wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Talli, Yea, I worry about over the top too so many times my initial scenes are boring and underdone. It's a fine line, that's why crit partners are so useful!

      Delete
  8. I'm melting, too. Sweet AND red hot!
    (New follower)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO SWEET! I love kissing scenes. They're my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the line "For just a moment her heart fluttered to life" - poor Anna, never willing to give herself completely, and poor Paul, always steadfast.
    Gosh, when are you going to finish so I can see what happens at the end? (Don't tell! I want to be surprised!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have the beta to you by next week if you're still willing.

      Delete