Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

I Will


Last week while visiting a blog I looked over at the blogger profile.  It said “I just want to be a writer---so I will”.  That’s all it said. 

My first reaction was to sputter, it’s not that easy, and imagine this person as one of the many who don’t have a clue what they’re getting into.  It reminded me of a fellow who visited Compuserve for a little while.  He spoke of his books and plots.  Whipped up a query letter and sent if off to some agents.  After a month or so he left a post saying he quit. He wouldn’t be coming back.  It was too hard to get agents attention, his books were good but no one would look at them because of the system.... You know the drill, I’m sure you’ve all heard it before.  Several people chatted with him, encouraged him, offered help.  “No,” he said.  He didn’t want help.  He was too old (in his 70’s I believe) to waste time learning to do it right.  He just wanted to be an author so he tried.  And failed.

But the more I thought about it I realized it was that simple.  I want to be a writer. So I will.  I am.  I’m not an author yet but someday I will be because I won’t give up.  Yea, it’s hard and I have to research publishing, and query letters, and marketing, and sometimes it’s discouraging.  Like right now when both of my children have decided that napping is NOT in their agenda.  But my determination is there.  I decided.  So come what may I’ll stick to it. 

My name is Sara, I want to be a writer

So I will be.

12 comments:

  1. No, Sara, you *are* a writer now!!! And don't you ever forget it. Diana Gabaldon says that anyone who consciously puts words together to get an idea across is a writer. And her expert opinion matters.

    I'm Zan Marie and I'm a writer, too. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a writer. And some day I will be a published author. I was going to say you too but you already are lol!

      Delete
  2. When we "own" our decision to do something, it has a way of becoming who we are ... So congrats to you for owning your title of writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does doesn't it? I've always believed that we make our own destiny.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm in your campaign group and came to introduce myself. I think the blogger put it well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Sara. So true. That simple statement sums it up. And if you really want it, and really work for it. You will do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to realize how life changing something so simple can be. I've known for awhile now that this is what I want but I hadn't stated it quite so succinctly.

      Delete
  5. You may not be an author - the definition of what constitutes an author is still with the jury, but you are a writer. Make a big sign that says, all in capitals, 'I AM A WRITER' and stick it somewhere where you'll see it every day ... then make a whole bunch more and stick 'em all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I know I'm a writer. I guess I'm to the point I want everyone else to know it too.

      Delete
  6. Thanks! I'll do the list this next week sometime.

    ReplyDelete