Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

I'm Linking...

Like most of you I visit lots of blogs and reader websites.  Whenever I come across some useful info I save it, or a link to it.  I have a folder with documents for writing, rewriting, querying, proposals, etc.  I recently went through the rewriting information, since that's where I am in my journey and thought I would pass some links on. 

This first comment I saved from a discussion on Compuserve Books and Writers Community.  This was written by Beth

Start with the big stuff. Look for ways to tighten up overall story by cutting or combining scenes and cutting or combining characters.  Look closely at subplots. Do they support them main plot or are they independent digressions? Also look for ways to strengthen your main character(s). How badly do they want what they want? How clear are their motives? How far did you go to thwart them? Are the stakes high enough?
Look at the plot itself:  are there reversals and setbacks? Is there a moment when the protag appears to lose everything and/or when the antagonist appears to win? Is there rising tension throughout the story? Look for plot holes, continuity errors, and credibility issues.
(Don Maass's Breakout Novel Workbook would probably be helpful in this process.)
When you've addressed all the major areas, then start working through the story scene  by scene, line by line, increasing tension, eliminating excess, arranging flow, adding (or reducing) underpainting, sharpening the emotional impact.
Last thing, copy edit for word choice, typos, etc.
~Beth 

Here are some links to a few blogs.






Hopefully someone else out there will find these useful.

 I'm sure many of you have your own saved links and if you want to share any great ones on any writing subject in the comments please do.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. How about this one?: http://magicalwords.net/ I always find something of value, even when it's something I wasn't looking for

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tip. I've already stared browsing the site and I'm sure there's still lots for me to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great info! The first paragraph posed some hard questions to ask yourself. Ones that make you squirm but in the end make your story better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad they were helpful. It's always the questions that make you squirm that push you to make it better. That's why it's good to know a couple people that ask those kinds of questions. Just a couple though.

    ReplyDelete