Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Back to Normal

I didn't think I'd ever say this sentence and I don't want you to take it the wrong way but, I LOVE NORMAL. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the holidays.  I love having The Engineer around all the time and the fun things we can do. I even like the work projects.  At least once they're done.  Can I say our new wood floor is amazing and I'm loving the new storage cabinets.  But I am soooooo excited to get back to a normal schedule. I'm slowly catching up on everything that was left behind last week and my kids are starting to nap again (yay naps!) 

The thing with normal is that it doesn't work in a book.  Nobody wants a book solely about a housewife vacuuming and doing dishes.  Novels center around conflict and change, turmoil and tension.  That's what makes them interesting. I'm just happy that I can keep that in my novel and, for the moment, my life can be normal. 

17 comments:

  1. I can't wait for tomorrow when The Monster goes back to school and I can be "normal" again. There's something to be said for the simple hum-drum life we women have. Sure, excitement is good for about 15 minutes, but I rather like the calmness of everyday living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! So, my MC doesn't need to spend time vaccuming, huh? How about doing first aid after her daughter shoots someone? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, Calmness of everyday living. I love that sentence. And the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zan, She can vacuum but only if it's part of the plot. I remember one scene you have where she's getting ready for the adoption case worker and freaking out. Vacuuming there might work. First aid after a shooting? Of course that's in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what? You're right! That's in the rough draft and I know exactly where it is. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ADORE normal.

    the older I get, the less common I realize "normal" is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, conflict and turmoil in books - normal in real life. *Sigh* So true, so true. Glad things are getting back to normal for you. I'm hoping they are for me soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read some books, and seen some movies, where nothing happens though ... um ... I don't think I should spread that around though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leigh, hoping you get back to normal too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Widdershins, I've read some books like that too. I always felt a little cheated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, man. I'm so glad the holidays are over. That's horrible to say, but my little one hardly got a nap those few weeks. It was awesome. :/ I'm not a huge fan of change, so I like when things calm down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you on the nap thing. It's amazing how sensitive they are to upheaval and change. Even though we put them down for naps they just wouldn't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love normal too. I'm a homebody and love my little routines. My two and a half year old just stopped taking naps so I'm trying to deal with that kink in my routine. Not easy. But at least he goes to bed nice and early now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My almost three year old it trying to give up naps too. Well so is my 20 month old but that's another story. I keep fighting it because I think they're too young. And I want my writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny, DH was saying the same thing yesterday. I didn't mind the holiday so much, because I got to read a lot, but I did have wip withdrawal - I guess that's a good sign!

    ReplyDelete