Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The End



I’ve read several books by an author who I’ve enjoyed. Up until the ending of each book. Each ending is a disappointment. She has her characters behave very stupidly, just to fit a formula the author thinks she needs to follow. I know she’s following a formula because it’s the exact same in each of the books. Same situation, same reactions, no matter who the characters are. 

DON’T WRITE TO A FORMULA.

Do what is true to the character.

And don’t keep re-writing the same book with different people. Your readers will notice. And they will be upset. I know I am.  So much so that I’ve stopped buying her books. Why bother when I know it will just be a disappointment.

The author has so much potential. It’s frustrating to see her cop out at the end.

Have you ever experienced something like this?


4 comments:

  1. YES. I've definitely read several books that disappointed me. They're the ones I dread reviewing. My husband always knows too. "What are you reading?" he'll ask. "A stupid book," I'll reply. Then he gives me that time-old lecture about why I'd waste my time. I really should listen to him, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find if I read back to back in any given genre, it starts to feel somewhat formulaic. I switch up genres and authors to avoid that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate formulas. I sometimes worry that my characters will start to sound the same since they're all my creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is why I tend not to read too much romance. How many different couples can I care about? The story has to have a lot of depth to it, otherwise I figure "yea, yea, they get together, the end" :P

    ReplyDelete