Pages

Monday, January 9, 2017

I'm back!



Happy new year everyone! I hope you are all well and rested. 

Between Christmas, house, kids, and life I didn’t get much writing done over the last three weeks. It was okay, I needed the break, but I worried a bit about getting back into it. How hard would it be? Have I lost my words? Should I read it all first to remember what I’m working on? Do I still like my story, my characters?

I let fear put off writing for several days. I hemmed and hawed and found excuses. Finally, I decided, once again, I wanted to be a writer and the only way to do that was to write. So, I opened up my WIP exactly where I left off and started. You know what? It was easy. Almost as if time hadn’t passed. In my first session, I wrote 482 words. Not too shabby.

There are so many times I let fear dictate what I do, when if I just did it, it wouldn’t be so bad. I don’t really do new year’s resolutions but this is something I want to work on this year. Stepping up, stepping out, and just doing.

How do you get back into writing after a break? Anything you’re working on this year?

14 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Just start writing and inspiration would come. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I took about a 5 day total break over the holidays. It was great and very refreshing. Because I don't get paid if I don't write, it's easy to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to look at it. It's honestly not hard once I put my mind to it. It's just making up my mind.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I take writing breaks constantly to work on other projects (still usually writing, but writing things other than short fiction). For me, it just takes a few hundred words to get going. I can't say my word-output is great though, overall, when I don't have deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on other writing related things is a good one for me, too. I just have to stop guilting that I'm not 'writing'.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back and Happy New Year! It's funny because I often tell myself the same thing, that's it's going to take forever to get back into it.... but when I finally do, time stops and the words flow and I find myself wishing for more time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! I find, if I've been absent for awhile, I need to reread the last few pages written to get back into the voice and mood. It usually works. Glad your words are beginning to flow once again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had advice. I do the same as you did -- I put off editing for fear that my story will suck! And when I finally start, it's never as bad as I thought it would be. Close, sometimes, but not completely horrible...

    ReplyDelete
  7. satta king

    satta king

    satta king You should exercise gently both prior to and after a visit to a chiropractor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sites like Expedia and Travelocity can include transactions fees (though some have been reducing them or even eliminating them). Take a look at the prices directly available at the websites of the airlines and hotels you are considering. You may find that it is cheaper.satta king
    play bazaar
    satta matka

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should store it in an airtight container. Put your weekly dose of coffee into a smaller container and keep it in your freezer so it stays fresh. Store the rest of your coffee in a larger airtight container and open it only when you need to refill your smaller container.
    Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete