Monday, January 9, 2017

I'm back!



Happy new year everyone! I hope you are all well and rested. 

Between Christmas, house, kids, and life I didn’t get much writing done over the last three weeks. It was okay, I needed the break, but I worried a bit about getting back into it. How hard would it be? Have I lost my words? Should I read it all first to remember what I’m working on? Do I still like my story, my characters?

I let fear put off writing for several days. I hemmed and hawed and found excuses. Finally, I decided, once again, I wanted to be a writer and the only way to do that was to write. So, I opened up my WIP exactly where I left off and started. You know what? It was easy. Almost as if time hadn’t passed. In my first session, I wrote 482 words. Not too shabby.

There are so many times I let fear dictate what I do, when if I just did it, it wouldn’t be so bad. I don’t really do new year’s resolutions but this is something I want to work on this year. Stepping up, stepping out, and just doing.

How do you get back into writing after a break? Anything you’re working on this year?

11 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Just start writing and inspiration would come. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I took about a 5 day total break over the holidays. It was great and very refreshing. Because I don't get paid if I don't write, it's easy to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to look at it. It's honestly not hard once I put my mind to it. It's just making up my mind.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I take writing breaks constantly to work on other projects (still usually writing, but writing things other than short fiction). For me, it just takes a few hundred words to get going. I can't say my word-output is great though, overall, when I don't have deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on other writing related things is a good one for me, too. I just have to stop guilting that I'm not 'writing'.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back and Happy New Year! It's funny because I often tell myself the same thing, that's it's going to take forever to get back into it.... but when I finally do, time stops and the words flow and I find myself wishing for more time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! I find, if I've been absent for awhile, I need to reread the last few pages written to get back into the voice and mood. It usually works. Glad your words are beginning to flow once again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had advice. I do the same as you did -- I put off editing for fear that my story will suck! And when I finally start, it's never as bad as I thought it would be. Close, sometimes, but not completely horrible...

    ReplyDelete