Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Turn, Turn, Turn



One thing I have to remind myself of constantly is that there is a time and place for everything.

Just because I used to do it, is no reason that it is a good idea now.  The things I may do now I never did twenty years ago, and probably won’t do in another 20 years.  Each year of our life is different. We have different needs, health, family, jobs, etc.

Looking back and wondering where the ‘me that used to be’ went is no good. That me doesn’t exist right now.  But I exist. And I like myself. I just can’t live by the same hobbies and goals I used to have.  The things that have dropped by the wayside were let go to make room for better more important things.

And that’s all right.

A little while ago I realized that an author I respect was turning 40.  40!  I hope they don’t take this the wrong way but I thought they were older. This person is barely a year and a half older than I am and has at least a dozen books published.  I guess it was a blow to my ego to realize they were so close to my own age, because what have I accomplished? It's come at an interesting time, as The Engineer and I  have been making plans, giving up on some ideas and accepting new ones. A time of flux.

Everyone takes their own journey. Everyone has their own set of crazy to deal with. To everything there is a season and a time and place for everything.  It’s natural for us to compare ourselves to others, to always long for what we don’t have, or haven’t accomplished yet. Striving to make ourselves better is one of the things that make us human. Or maybe one of the things that make us divine. And perhaps that’s why we have to keep reminding ourselves that there is a time and place for everything, and sometimes just being is enough. 



16 comments:

  1. You are so right. Time changes us, and usually we think of that as being bad (ie aging, wrinkles, menopause) but it can be good too. Each season of our life has it's own beauty, if we choose to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so true that what's important to us and what we do changes with time. I am going through a major reinventing myself time. And it's so important not to compare ourselves to others but to live our lives the best they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the thing about numbers, they can bless and they can deter. Good for you for realizing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, everything has a season. There are moments when I look back at activities in my life and wonder why I don't do them now, and then I remember that it's because my life is filled with new/different things and it's good just the way it is.
    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Sometimes I look back and feel as if I've lost something, but when I look at now I remember I've made choices and that I like who I am.

      Delete
  5. A while ago I was struggling with how long it was taking me to get published, so I looked up the ages of all my fav authors when they first got published, and the majority of them were in their 50s. That cheered me up ;) You are so right. There is a time for everything and we can't compare our journey with anyone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you and I are in the same place of re-evaluating, figuring out where things are going and what needs to be left by the wayside. And like you, I'm realizing that it is okay to let go and change. It makes me better. It makes life better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living life is about adapting. What have you accomplished? Look around you...children, job, husband, and all the things you hold dear. That is some major accomplishments! 40? Try 60+!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen, Sara! Now why do I hear the Birds? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand the age thing! Every time I try to be athletic(not that I ever was) I realize my body is telling me to slowdown, or I'll break something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Sara,

    Boy does this hit home....Being a decade plus older than you AND still sort of unpublished (have a few blurbs, covers, etc,) I see all the successful thirty somethings and sigh. But I only started writing five years ago. I've lived MANY lives in my life and now this one.

    Change is a good thing. Adapting can be difficult, but it makes us grow emotionally. And that is always important. As the title of my blog says... In Time ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some of my favorite authors got a late start, and some an early start. What's encouraging is that in both cases, the good books came and I enjoy reading them. So . . . I just hope to write books others enjoy reading, and I no longer care about the timeline. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. According to the research I've done, the majority of authors start their careers somewhere in their 30's or 40's, so you really shouldn't feel bad. Truth, I think the only reason there are so many younger authors these days is because of the self publishing craze. While I do occasionally read their works, I find myself not trusting them as much. Is that sad?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to keep reminding myself of this too, especially in relation to being published. Don't want to dwell overmuch on "it'll never happen" type thoughts!

    ReplyDelete