Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Entropy Happens

Yahoo!  You know that feeling when you figure something out?   That solution that's been eluding you for so long, that place in your manuscript that was meh, but now you know how to fix it, that ah-ha moment when everything clicks and you wonder how you didn't see it before.  I love that feeling.  It would have been better if it had happened about the query I was supposed to be working on but I'll take what I can get. 

I have two links for you today.

The first one, here, is a link to Diana Gabaldon talking about her writing process.  I loved the part where she compares scientific study to creative work.  She talks a lot about her style of writing and how she makes a scene happen.  Obviously not every writer will work like that but very fun.

The second link, here, is Andrew Stanton, filmmaker (Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, and most recently, John Carter), talking about the secrets of story telling.  I'll confess I haven't watched this one yet but I'm off to do it now if the stars stay aligned and the kids stay asleep.

There is a little bit of language in each clip. Just FYI.

11 comments:

  1. Sara,
    I haven't watched the Andrew Stanton, but Diana's interview was wonderful! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You know that feeling when you figure something out?"

    Yes, Sara, I know that feeling. A missing piece of my manuscript came to me last night, and I was so "Yahoo" excited.

    And thanks for sharing the links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off to check out the interview. Carter to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for ironing out those manuscript wrinkles!

    And best wishes on the query :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE it when parts of my story suddenly click together. There's no feeling like it. I just read a book on screen-writing called Save the Cat, which has helped me LOADS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never hear of Save the Cat. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I kind of worked out yesterday what will happen later in my book to resolve the storyline, but I'm kind of a pantser so it might change again. I actually thought of a couple of options. Good to have something to work towards when you feel stuck, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to figure out some things. I'm a panster too so I understand.

      Delete