Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Author Interview!



Rose Phillips, a good friend and great writer, recently published her first novel, CUTTING TO THE CHASE.   


How do you fix something you didn't break? Lizzy certainly doesn't have the answer. All she knows is that she needs to survive senior year, then get as far away from her dysfunctional family as possible. In the meantime, when she can't take the pressure, she eases it with the sharp edge of a razor blade. But, she's been cutting deeper and her thoughts are growing darker. Until she meets Michael. With him she finds relief. Now, maybe—just maybe—she can make it.





It was a great read and I found it really got into the mind of a teenager struggling with some grown up issues.Well, on to the interview.

When I first met you, you wrote historical fiction. How did you get from there to writing contemporary YA?

When I was focused on historical fiction, I was working in education. It was a wonderful distraction, so different from my job. I wore many hats as an educator including literacy consultant for at-risk adolescents and principal.  While I’ve left that career behind, I guess it didn’t leave me. The kids I worked with, their stories, their raw honesty are part of the fabric of who I am. One day, Lizzy started talking to me. Just in snippets at first.
It was the fall of 2015, and I decided to take a break from historical fiction and fully participate in NaNoWriMo without worrying about research. So it made perfect sense to explore Lizzy’s story. She was hurting, and I wanted to find out why. Cutting to the Chase poured out in less than a month, surpassing the required word count for NaNo. While it underwent many revisions, including a full rewrite of POV, the story has essentially remained the same.

Once you signed with your publisher, was there any part of the publishing process that surprised you?

I’ve been pleasantly surprised that my opinion has been considered. I have read so many horror stories—from incompatible editors to disastrous covers—that I was fully prepared for frustration. But I was assigned a terrific editor and my input was considered for the cover and included a preview of it for approval. Working with the EvernightTeen team has been all positive.

Do you have a favorite character that you’ve written? That someone else has written?

I’m still a little in love with my main character, Brandan “Raven” Murray, in my historical fiction Raven’s Path. Since I feel I have again grown as a writer, I want to comb back through that manuscript and, no doubt, tighten it up. I’m looking forward to spending time with him again.

Do you have a book you love but are embarrassed to admit you enjoy?
 
I can’t think of any.

I know you have two dogs you love very much; can you tell us about them?

Ginger and Spice are little Lhasa Apso sisters. They’re now ten years old. Lhasas, historically, were raised to be Tibetan guard dogs inside the palace (Chows were outside). So, instinctively, they are calm quiet dogs, always nearby, listening. They will bark up a storm when someone arrives but stop as soon as they recognize the person. They do everything together. So much so that we call them the two-head beast because we’re convinced they don’t know they are two separate animals. They bring plenty of laughter and pure joy into our lives.

Favorite color?

It’s a tie between blue and purple.

Favorite food?

Anything without meat but with lots of cheese. I mean LOTS of cheese.

What are your hobbies, past and present?  I know you used to sing and act….

Performing has always been a part of my life. My husband and I met doing musical theatre. A group of us founded our own theatre company, which ran for over 20 years. We wrote our shows, a mix of song and dance and comedy. Lots of comedy. All profit for these cabaret style shows went to charity. It was a wonderful way to contribute to our community and scratch our collective creative itch at the same time.  For a few years, I also sang in a trio with my husband. That was good fun.
Two years ago (this July), we gave our lives a good shake and moved to Vancouver Island. While my husband is enjoying participating in a choir, I haven’t found a performance niche yet. I must admit, I haven’t looked too hard. So far, the writing seems to be feeding that side of my brain. And gardening. I’m loving the novelty of gardening.

Where can we find you online?

Oh, in far too many places these days! This two-persona approach to an online presence is keeping me hopping! 

YA Me:
I’ve just started a series of interviews with YA authors. Do drop by and check out the fun I’m having playing with formatting. It makes for a great distraction from writing. ;0)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/rosephillipsya (@rosephillipsya )

Adult Me:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/roserambles1 @roserambles1


I hope you enjoyed getting to know Rose a bit, I know you'll enjoy her book! 

16 comments:

  1. Congrats to Rose on her book. It sounds like a story that needed to be told by her since it came out so fast. Sadly, many teens will be able to related to this, I'm guessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. Unfortunately, I worked with far too many students who needed to release stress in one way or another. Cutting was/is more prevelant than a lot of people realize.

      Delete
  2. YES! Another cheese-aholic! *high five* I love where the story came from. Huge congrats, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Rose! Sounds like a difficult topic, but one that many will be able to relate to. So good to hear that your publishing experience has been a positive one, through and through. All best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. It is difficult but there is light at the end of the dark tunnel in the novel.

      Delete
  5. I love Rose's book--and Rose, too. Having taught teens for twenty-five years, I can testify that Rose got the voice right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Zan Marie on both counts. That means a lot to me.

      Delete
  6. Spesh,

    Thank you for highlighting my book this past week. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview. Congratulations, Rose! Hope to see you at Surrey some day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. satta king

    satta king

    satta king Make sure your chiropractor has proper certification and certification.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If your employer offers a 401(k) with matching funds, take the maximum deduction from your paycheck. Your company's matching funds are like an automatic return on your money, on top of the returns from your 401(k) investment choices. Not taking full advantage of the match is like refusing free money.satta king
    play bazaar
    satta matka

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get used to cooler coffee if you have recently had a baby. Active infants usually need your hands on them pretty often to keep them safe and loved. Finishing a cup of coffee with a baby around can take a lot longer than you think, so find a way to live with room temperature coffee, or switch to an insulated mug.
    Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete