Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Day Off

I've often heard that if you want to be an author, you need to treat writing as a job. I know that many writers push themselves, feeling that if they're not writing they're not making progress, not getting paid.  And to a certain extent that true. We do need to take writing serious if we want to do this professionally. We can't treat it like a hobby.

However, professional doesn't mean 24/7 in most cases. The Engineer has weekends off work. When he comes home he doesn't agonize over blueprints and obsess over airplane parts. Generally, that is. Farmers let fields lie fallow sometimes so it can regain nutrients and produce better crops.

As writers, we need to take time off. We need to let our minds lie fallow for a bit. And we need to stop beating ourselves up about it. If we push too hard, we face burnout. Just like anyone in any profession. Take care of yourselves, and remember that you need time off work every now and again.

13 comments:

  1. Take time off to fill the well with other's words is my prescription. I take it often, myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! As writers, we need to have inspiration and ideas. These can't be forced and can't be found by sitting in front of a laptop all day...well, usually not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. We've all got other jobs too whether we work outside the home or at an outside job. So agree we need time off like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely!! We need breaks to refill those creative juices which are essential to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. We definitely need down time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. We definitely need down time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I am an advocate for a work routine, I also have no problem giving myself permission to play. I don't want to end up proverbially dull...in my life or my writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. I think being kind to yourself MUST BE your first priority. Thanks, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, lovely insight, S. P. I'm sure the writing always benefits from the time away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think taking breaks is a healthy thing to do. Sometimes putting too much pressure on ourselves to get something done can be counter-productive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most definitely! It's always good to take some time off and take care of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't you a smart cookie! Very good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No! Don't enable me! I've already had three months off, I need to get back into things!

    ReplyDelete