Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Libraries



One of the first things I do when I move is find the libraries at the new location. My finances can’t support my reading habit alone. Also, since we moved into a tiny cramped apartment as interim housing, a library is essential. I need to have somewhere to take my kids once or twice a week.

The children’s area in our library in Georgia was nice. Our librarian was better. In all honesty it was hard to leave her. She prepared awesome story times, my kids loved her. She remembered not only them, but their names, and their reading habits. When there was a new book in my son’s favorite series she checked it out and hid it under the desk until we came in so he could have it first. Having a librarian friend is awesome!

I was a little nervous about what the children’s sections would be like here at our new home, but I’ve been hesitantly pleased. The children’s area is impressive. Not only are there plenty of books there are lots of computers, toys, and a fish tank. My kids love it there. We don’t know the librarians very well but they seem nice. Maybe we’ll be able to create friendships with them, too.

The first time we went, they were signing people up for the summer reading program. As part of the sign up they gave all the kids a free book! They had a huge bookshelf full and the kids each got to choose their own. Mini Engineer, who likes setting goals and living up to them, gets the kitchen timer and will read all afternoon, fifteen minutes at a time so he can cross off another bubble on his reading sheet.

I haven’t been able to spend much time in the grown up section (I tried, but my three year old threw a knock down, screaming tantrum. Hopefully they’ll let me back in) but as long as I can teach my kids to love reading I can live with anything.

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you make libraries a priority for your children. When I was growing up, my family didn't have much money, and the library was our social focus, our bona fide bookstore (except you could return books for new ones and pay nothing if you weren't late), even our babysitter some days. I have such happy memories of libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you like your new library. I love our library. And I want to start reading a bit of adult books too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also love libraries! Your new one sounds wonderful. I'm sure in time, these librarians will come to love your kids, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I inhabited the library as a child. My mother made sure of that. ;-) I love 'em. I just wish they didn't have such strong air freshener. My asthma doesn't approve. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fact that they were giving away books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new library sounds really nice! Hopefully you'll be able to become friends with the librarians there. And I love that they gave away books to the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spesh,

    Glad you are there safe and sound and that you and your children have a place to get a book fix.

    ReplyDelete